Sunday, November 2, 2008

Granola II Review

These bars are based on the Granola Bar II from my Homemade Granola Bar Challenge.

One nice thing about these bars is that they are made with pretty basic ingredients, so they are not as expensive as some of the other bars, and with a well-stocked pantry you shouldn't have to make a special trip to the grocery store before you make them.



These turned out pretty good, despite the fact that I slightly overcooked them. Next time I will not forget to set my timer!

I used what I had on hand and made several adaptations. In fact, it is so different from the original recipe, that I will just approximate what I did here:

--> mix together:

2 c. oats

2 handfuls coconut

1/3 c. chopped walnuts

1/4 c. ground flaxseed

toast on shallow baking pan ~ 15 min @ 350 , stir at least once during cooking


--> meanwhile, combine:

1/2 c. honey

1/4 c. brown sugar

1/2 c. peanut butter

1/8 c. canola oil

heat in saucepan until slightly bubbly

--> Mix together dry and wet ingredients in a large bowl, adding

1 c. rice krispies and

1/4-1/3 c. chocolate chips.

--> Press mixture firmly into 9x13 baking pan (coated with nonstick spray)


--> Bake ~25 min. at 325, pressing firmly again about halfway through cooking. (I used the back of a big metal serving spoon.


--> Wait until entirely cooled, then cut with a sharp knife or metal spatula into desired sizes. Keep in an airtight container or wrap individually in plastic wrap/foil.


Anyone else have any success with their homemade granola bars?

No comments: