When a flu hits, the most important things to do are keep temperature in check, and re-hydrate.
- cool with damp washcloths or lukewarm bath
- alternate Tylenol and Ibuprofen every 2 hours as needed
When your child first gets sick, do not try to give them food or drink right away, wait until they want something. OR if your child is visibly dehydrated (i.e. no wet diapers in 12 hours, no tears, sunken eyes)
Then start with re-hydrating!
- start with 1/4 tsp. water or Pedialyte every 10-15 minutes*
- if the child vomits, start over again
- when the child tolerates this for one hour, increase to 1/2 tsp. every 10-15 min.
- when the child tolerates this for one hour, increase to 1 tsp. every 10-15 min.
- gradually increase with small amounts of liquid and foods from BRAT diet when desired
*If the child is not tolerating 1/4 tsp. liquid, try starting with 1/8 tsp.
When to call the Dr:
- if you are unable to control the fever with Tylenol and Ibuprofen
- if Fever lasts longer than 48 hours
- if your child is dehydrated and will not tolerate 1/8 tsp. liquid after 2 hours of trying every 10-15 min.