Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Eat from the Pantry Challenge

For the month of January, I intend to take part in the Eat from the Pantry Challenge posed by MoneySavingMom and FishMama. I don't think this will be so hard for us because we have a lot of food stocked up. This summer we spent very little on groceries because I was not sure if we were going to move and I needed to use up my supply. We never ran out of food! But we did get bored with it. This year we also don't know whether or not we will be moving, so I need to really get a grip on how long it takes us to use up our stock of food and not over-stock! Here are the specific goals I am setting for myself for January:

1. Spend no more than $50 on groceries for our family of 7 --That is a quarter of our normal budget (caveat: we have 2 children that participate in the WIC program, and we will still be getting all of their foods included in that program).
2. The foods I purchase will be perishables (primarily or exclusively produce)
3. Organize and use up much of the food from our chest freezer, especially meat and milk (yes I have milk in my freezer right now)
4. Go through all of my cupboards, shelves, and pantry and find out what's really in there! (perhaps create an inventory?) - Then use it!
5. Try new recipes with our staple ingredients.
6. Make only 2 shopping trips.

Anyone else need to clean up some excess in their pantries? Want to join in the challenge? Don't worry - you are allowed to set your own rules!

No comments: