Thursday, November 6, 2008

Why I am switching back to cloth diapers

In case you are wondering, "Why all the cloth diapering posts?" Yes, I am switching back to cloth with baby #4. And now for that "Why?"


  1. Chemicals in disposable diapers and wipes - The long-term and cumulative effects of chemicals used in our everyday products on our health is ultimately unknown. Additionally, some of my children have developed severe atopic allergy symptoms. It seems prudent to cut down on chemical exposure where possible.

  2. Cheaper - This is indisputable. Even after factoring in minor utility increases, you can't argue that one.

  3. Better for the environment!!

  4. I have too much time on my hands. LOL. Yes, kidding. And, yes, I do value my time. It doesn't take as much time as you think.
  5. I can change as often as I like instead of skimping and waiting until the disposable diaper is really saturated.

  6. Oh yes, and they are cute!

Why did I stop using cloth in the first place?

Well, when I stopped I was pregnant with #2 and living in an apartment without a washing machine. It got to be too much to lug the diapers around to wash, especially while keeping tabs on a toddler. Also, I was convinced #1 was going to potty train any day. Then we moved to Italy for a year and I couldn't fit the cloth diapering supplies in my mere 7 suitcases with all our clothes, dishes, linens, etc. (and I didn't know how we'd be washing laundry). And when we got back I was already pregnant with #3. Anyone else with 3 little kids under 3 has my permission to use disposables as long as they want!! In comparison, I really do have too much time on my hands now. But that's another story.

No comments: