No can needed - Prepare your own pumpkin for your favorite seasonal recipes! (smaller pie pumpkins tend to have a better flavor)
1 lb. pared pumpkin = 1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
8 inch pie ~ 1 1/4 pound, 9 inch pie ~ 2 pounds
- Heat pot with 1 inch of water and about 1/2 tsp. salt until boiling.
- Add 1-in. cubed pumpkin. Cover and return to boiling.
- Cook until tender, about 30 min; drain.
- Mash or use a beater until smooth.
- Heat oven to 400. Cut pumpkin in half; remove slime and seeds (don't rinse the seeds; save for toasted pumpkin seeds).
- Place cut sides up in a large baking dish (such as a 9x13 casserole); pour water to cover bottom of pan (at least 1/4 in.).
- Cover with foil and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Scoop pumpkin from shells.
- Mash until smooth.